Do i need a landscape architect or designer

Do i need a landscape architect or designer

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Do i need a landscape architect or designer or someone who can just do a visual outline?

I'm working on a small house with only 880 sq ft of house footprint. My builder told me that to have a structurally sound house, it needs to be at least 1000 sq ft. I'm just not comfortable with this, I need more house... Can someone who has more experience tell me if I have enough room and what things are typically done to make a house structurally sound and how much is it going to cost?

Does the 2X12 plan seem too low? Most smallish houses have 800 sq ft of finished space so why is this so off? I'm not an engineer by trade, just a contractor trying to work with what I have. I'm stuck and just need to know what is typically done for smaller houses to be safe.

Am I going to be ok without a landscape architect?

Can someone who is more knowledgeable than I am please fill me in?

2 Answers


Generally, the bigger the house, the more space that needs to be provided to accommodate the structure. Typically, a homeowner will specify that their house is to be able to stand up to a Category 1 earthquake (6.7 on the Mercalli scale) and make allowances for that. Often they will specify that they want to meet the seismic codes, so that their home will not come tumbling down (or be too unsafe to live in, or to repair) in case of an earthquake.

I don't think there's any "minimum size" that a house needs to be to stand up to an earthquake. Rather, we'd call the weakest spot the "weak link" of the house. If the weakest link cannot stand up to an earthquake (because it is too small or not designed properly), then the entire house is not strong enough to stand up to an earthquake, regardless of size.

Typically, a "small" house is built with a "high ceiling", i.e. high-ceiling beams or trusses (ideally spaced 4 feet apart) to provide a platform to which to rest the kitchen and bath cabinets, the roof, and the walls (inside the room framing).

That's all good and fine. But for the house to be strong, the walls must be designed to meet the load capacity of the footings, so the roof and roof structure (also called the "siding" in the area) should be designed to stand up to the loads that the walls are going to experience. For example, a "small" house that weighs 2000 lbs. per linear foot (just as an example, that's not going to be the actual weight of the house, because it's going to be loaded and unloaded at every season's change) would need a roof that is designed to carry up to 2,000 lbs. per linear foot. That is the pressure that the walls of the building are going to be subjected to, and the roof of the building must be designed to stand up to the load that the walls will be carrying.

Another example is the "R" value. The general rule of thumb for calculating the R-value is that there must be a 3/8" X 5/16" (4 mm x 4 mm) thick insulated or weatherproofed wall, for every linear foot of wall space (again, a floor plan that is based on some square footage might look like 5 linear feet of wall space, when it's really really more like 4 linear feet of wall space). For example, the roof structure of a house that is to withstand 1000 lbs. per square foot of roof area would need to have a roof made of at least (i.e. using the average American roof as an example) 2" X 6" (3.8 cm x 15.2 cm) plywood. Again, though, that's only for the roof of the building, not the entire structure of the building. For the building as a whole, including the foundation walls, the "bulkhead" wall, and any "shed walls", the actual size of the walls (and thus the R-value) needs to be calculated, which is going to vary depending on the materials used, and how thick the walls are going to be. If a building is to withstand 3000 lbs. per square foot of roof area, and 1000 lbs. per square foot of wall area, the walls of the building need to be 6" X 12" (15.2 cm X 30.5 cm) and 2" X 12" (3.8 cm X 30.5 cm) respectively. The plywood roof could then be any 3/8" X 12" (4 mm X 30.5 cm) material that would be installed over the plywood roof, but that does not necessarily have to be plywood. The walls of the house could be a 2" X 12" (3.8 cm X 30.5 cm) composite roof panel, or steel wall framing, or whatever else.

So it sounds like you're asking how a builder can build a safe house with very little floor space. Basically, they can either design the house for a relatively small footprint or design it for a relatively large footprint. In this case, you're asking for the small footprint.

Dalam pengalaman saya, kebanyakan rumah yang dibina untuk pasaran AS (di mana "kecil" biasanya bermaksud 1000 kaki persegi) dibina di atas sistem "siling tinggi", jadi untuk bercakap. Mereka dibina dalam dua jenis utama: 1. Dua cerita dan kurang dari 10 kaki (jadi, sebagai contoh, "rumah treler" biasanya dibina dengan siling tinggi (yang bermaksud pintu garaj dan lantai bawah), sehingga ada sebuah Kawasan terbuka yang besar, mungkin ruang tamu, dan kemudian ruang tamu utama rumah berada di tingkat dua, atau 2. empat cerita dan lebih dari 10 kaki tinggi, sehingga tidak banyak "gapping" di antara tingkat pertama Rumah dan lantai kedua rumah.

Biasanya, anda boleh mencari gambar rajah dan cetak biru dalam talian yang menggambarkan sistem yang disyorkan. Terdapat laman web, seperti ini yang dikhaskan untuk topik ini. Contohnya, berhubung dengan gempa bumi